LIGHT UP THE STAGE DANCE COMPETITON
Come and shine bright with us in 2024.
1.All performers and others attending sessions of the competition do so at their own risk. By entering you are bound by the rules outlined.
2. Entries will only by accepted www.lightupthestage.com.au or via comps online. Incomplete entries will not be accepted. Please make sure all details are correct. Contact the organiser immediately of any required changes. Changes can be made free of charge up to and including the day of draft programme changes. After the final draft programme is made no further changes will be made if due to entrant error. All entries are only considered finalised once payment is completed. Unpaid entries may be removed from the system to make room for paid entries. Payment schedules in order to pay off entries are available. If required please contact the even organiser.
3. All music must be provided electronically via our portal. Failure to upload music by the music cut off day provided without contacting the event organisers may be taken as you withdrawing from the event.
4. Please be aware it is the entrant's responsibility to have a music backup option available as well as any and all cables/adapters etc required to use said backup. While event staff usually have lightening to audio adapters etc it is solely the participants responsibility to ensure they have the requirements to connect audio from phones etc.
5. Light Up The Stage utilises voice critiques. Due to championship sections scoring will not be made available online prior to that age group being completed and awards being announced. While all attempts to upload voice critiques promptly will be made please be aware a variety of factors may make for a delay including event internet access.
6. Score breakdown will be as follows.
Entertainment Factor 30%
Music and Costuming 5%
Light up The Stage does not believe in penalising competitors or rewarding competitors based on their costuming choices etc. Therefore all competitors will receive the full 5% marks regardless of costume or music choice except In the event that the adjudicators or event staff believe that it is not age appropriate or at a family viewing level as per rule 8.
7. Age is at 1st January of the year of the competition, this includes all competitors in group routines.
8. Music and choreography must be appropriate for family viewing and age appropriate for the dancer’s age. At the discretion of the Judge a 5 point deduction may be made.
9. In the event that a performer has been taught by one of our adjudicators they will be critiqued by both adjudicators but will only be scored by one, this score will then be doubled to make up for the missing scores.
10. Performers may enter up to two routines in each genre however responsibility for any quick changes resulting is the sole responsibility of the entrant. Light up the Stage will not delay the competition to wait for the competitor to be ready. A minimum of 3 minutes only will be taken. (ie if the competitors 2 routines are the only in the section a 3 min delay will be given)
11. No communication is to be had with the judge prior to the completion of the competition. This rule applies to all dancers, family members, teachers or any other interested parties. Any protest is to be lodged with the event organisers/front desk only prior to the awards session for that section occurs.
12. No prompting from side stage or the audience is allowed whilst the performer is on stage with the exception of 4u and 6u participants. Prompting in other age groups will result in a 2 point deduction.
13. One supporter will be allowed backstage whether it’s a parent or teacher for age groups 8 years and under. The exception to this is when a prop is required or for medical conditions made known to the staff. If this is a requirement, please let event staff aware prior to the session starting.
14. It’s the responsibility of the performer or parent to check the programme for start time, date and venue. We will aim to provide you with as much information as possible on where we are up to but it is up to the performers to be ready to dance. Please note on the day we may run earlier than you anticipate.
15. Performers should attend the beginning (or as close as possible) to the start of the session as withdrawals may occur and alter the running schedule. It is not wise to anticipate performance times. Sessions will start no earlier than 45 min prior to stated times. Please stay up to date on our socials on competition day as we will keep everyone up to date.
16. Backstage and change rooms are to be left in a clean and tidy manner. Failure to do so may result in a cleaning fee. Tap shoes are not to be worn/danced in in the changing area’s due to possible damage to the floors, If you are caught using tap shoes on any wooden floors etc to warm up routines and damage occurs the venue restoration fee for this damage will be passed on to the competitor/family/dance studio.
17. No videoing or photography of any sort is permitted by any member of the audience whilst there is a performer on stage due to child safety concerns. This may result in a 5 point deduction on the discretion of the event organisers.
18. The judge’s decision is final within the bounds of the rules.
19. All awards are awarded at the discretion of the judge and or staff. In the event of a tie score it is the judges final choice as to placings of competitors.
20. As we do not contain restricted sections Light Up the Stage will place 1st – 3rd regardless of scores, highly commended/specially commended awards will be at the discretion of the Judge.
21. While Light Up the Stage takes the health and safety of all performers and attendee’s seriously it is the performers responsibility to attend to their own basic first aid needs. It is recommended that you carry your own instant heat/ice packs and basic first aid such as bandaids/paracetamol etc.
22. Championship routines must be nominated prior to the start of the session. Failure to nominate prior to the start of the section will result in your first three dances receiving the nomination.
23. By signing up for this competition you understand that images and video taken at the event may be used for promotional purposes by the organiser, or the videographer or photographer. If this is a problem please make event staff aware of the situation.
24. The rules outlined above may change at any given time at the discretion of the organiser.
PLEASE NOTE REFUNDS WILL ONLY BE GIVEN IN THE CASE OF A POSTIVE COVID PCR RESULT OR WITH DOCTOR’S LETTER STATING THE CHILD IS UNABLE TO DANCE. The organiser must be made aware of the request to refund via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by midnight the night before the start of the event, notificaton after this time will result in no refund given. In the event that a refund is to be provided a $10 administration cost per routine will be applied to cover unrefundable fee's.
Refunds will be given direct to the same method used to purchase entry. While refunds will be processed within 48 hours please note that due to bank transfer times this may not be immediate and may result in a delay in you receiving funds.
Solos $47 per routine
Duo/Trio - $60 per routine
Troupes $50 per routine
Compulsory Competitor Pass $30 per performer covers entry to the venue of both performer and spectators.
Improvisation is included with the cost of entry
Championship Entry fee $50
AGE GROUPS - Age as of 1st January for all performers in any Solo, Duo/trio or Troupe
4 years and Under
6 years and Under
8 years and Under
10 years and Under
12 years and Under
14 years and Under
16 years and Under
All sections will be placed 1st to 3rd regardless of how many are entered into the section. With the exception of if a competitor leaves the stage (ie as a run off, scores/placings are at the adjudicators discretion) HC ribbons will be awarded solely at the discretion of the competition in association with the adjudicators. With the exception of all 4u and 6u sections where all competitors will receive a HC ribbon if they fail to place.
HIGH SCORE AWARDS
Different to our championship sections these do not need to be entered. We will automatically calculate and award our top 3 in each age group. 4u, 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u & Open Age.
3rd and 2nd highest score to receive a poster. Highest Score to receive a poster and Trophy.
Directors choice award.
This will be awarded to a junior routine and senior routine of the directors choice. Winners will receive a free solo entry to compete again at another LIGHT UP THE STAGE in either that season or the following year.
Junior Directors Choice (Izzy's award)
This will be awarded to the junior with the most promising student choreography. This will be decided by Isabella ( or Director/nominee) and is an award recognising that choreography is an important skill to develop. Winner will receive a free solo entry to compete again at another LIGHT UP THE STAGE in either that season or the following year.
AMPA Scholarship Awards.
We give huge thanks to our sponsors Academy of Music and Performing Arts (AMPA) who are offering several scholarships to our older dancers.
1 Week of training alongside their bachelor of dance students in their Alexandria Campus (NSW) awarded to a dancer 16+ who is an exceptional all rounder at an advanced level in ballet, contemporary and jazz. 3 of these training scholarships are available over the entire 2023 season, there is no guarantee that they will be awarded at each heat, all or none of these may be awarded over the entire 2023 season.
20% study scholarship.
Awarded to a dancer 17+ who is not currently enrolled in full time elsewhere. 20% scholarship towards a certificate, associate or bachelor qualification at AMPA. Students must enrol by the end of 2023 and must start their training by the beginning of trimester 1 2025. 3 of these study scholarships are available over the entire 2023 season, there is no guarantee that they will be awarded at each heat, all or none of these may be awarded over the entire 2023 season.
AMPA is offering double passes to the end of trimester shows held in Sydney to allow dancers to see what AMPA has on offer. There is no guarantee that they will be awarded at each heat, all or none of these may be awarded over the entire 2023 season.
2024 Finale` entry qualification.
Routines that score 82 or above are an automatic qualifier for our 2024 Finale` due to be held on the Gold Coast in December 2024. Scores of 90 and above are an automatic qualifier for our Championship Section at our Finale`.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING INTO CHAMPIONSHIP
Championship scores will be determined based on the score received while dancing in usual sections. No need to dance again. Your $45 entry cost allows you to nominate up to 3 of your best dances to be considered for your championship score. Additional routines may be entered for an additional fee per routine ($20 per routine)
Please see front desk to nominate your championship routines and purchase any additional routines prior to the session starting. Failure to nominate routines will see the first three routines from the session automatically chosen.
Winner – Crown, custom sash and Trophy
Runner Up- Tiara, custom sash and Trophy
LIGHT UP THE RUNWAY - ACTIVEWEAR
Light up the stage in your best runway strut – Pop on your favourite activewear/dancewear and show us what you’ve got as you treat the stage as your runway. We cover the music you just have 60 seconds to show the world ‘its all about me’ and show off your favourite poses. (shoes are optional in this section)
Winner Crown and custom Sash
Runner up Tiara and custom Sash
All Competitors to receive a small present based on the theme as a thank you for participating.
LIGHT UP THE RUNWAY - FULL THEMED RUNWAY
Entry in this section is inclusive of entry into the Activewear Runway.
It also Includes.
Partywear Runway, put on your gladrags and show us some personality, this is all about the partywear, your fanciest outfit, something to dress to impress. Outfits in this section may be anything that puts you in a party mood, from bright colours, out there couture to formalwear, Show us what it means to have fun and be the life of the party. 60 seconds on stage utilising the full stage to show of your outfit and style. Routines may be choreographed or freestyled however music is organisers choice and will be ran in usual runway style. (shoes must be worn in this section)
Theme Runway, Each regional heat a theme for our runway will be chosen. All outfits are allowed, from activewear to themed party dresses and costumes. Routines may be choreographed or freestyled however music is organisers choice and will be ran in usual runway style. Competitors in this section will be judged both on their technique and how they have interpreted the theme. (shoes must be worn in this section)
PHOTOGENIC AWARD - optional extra
Enter your best photo, these can be headshots, full body or 3/4 shots, dance photos acceptable or everyday wear. Individual features of the person entered will not be judged, this is not a beauty contest, However the way the photo is framed to show the individual beauty of the competitor will be taken into account, as well as photographic technique.
Make up is acceptable in this section but must be deemed appropriate for the entrants age. Light editing is acceptable however highly edited 'Glitz' style photo's are not acceptable. We want competitors natural beauty and personality to shine through.
Partywear Winner, Crown and custom sash
Christmas Wear Winner, Crown and custom Sash
Photogenic Winner, Crown, custom Sash 1 hour photoshoot with Anna Jewels Photography at her Gold Coast location.
This section is sponsored by Anna Jewels Photography
Overall Runway Winner, Large Crown, Sash, Sceptor and certificate.
All participants to receive a small themed present as a thank you for participating.
RUNWAY CRITIQUES AND SCORES
All runway critiques will be sent via email within 7 days of the competition. All competitors will receive a participation certificate which contains your score from the day which can be collected from the front desk.
Please note as this is a runway event we DO NOT double crown. Our order of titles is as follows.
1. Grand Title
2. Activewear Title
3. Theme Title
4. Partywear Title
5. Photogenic Title
6. Activewear Runner Up.
In the case of us receiving 20 entries or more we will split to a Junior and Senior Grand Title with an age division created as equally as possibly based on the number and age of competitors. If we have less than 3 entries in the junior or senior age division for photogenic we reserve the right to combine both sections into one photogenic title.
Breakdown of Runway scores is as follows
We at Light Up the Stage Dance Competition feel strongly that Improv is an important skill to be learned in the industry. That’s why we make it free for all entrants.
All entrants will perform on stage at the same time to a song and genre chosen by Light Up the Stage. After 60 seconds participants will be chosen for a second round in a separate genre before our final 3rd round with our final 3 with a third song. Light up the Stage reserves the right to only hold 2 rounds if participant numbers are lacking, or the right to hold heats in the event of a large group of entrants or a diverse age range of entrants due to safety.
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Encourage your dancer/s to compete with a good sports person like attitude.
Do not criticize, bully or show meanness to any other person, everyone deserves their moment to shine bright on stage.
Teach your dancer/s that their best is enough and winning is nice but isn’t everything
Accept that the judge’s decision is final
Show respect for all staff and volunteers
Be respectful to other dancers when they are performing
If an issue arises let the event organisers know so that it can be dealt with promptly.
Contact the event organiser in advance of any known/possible issues or conflict of interest so that it can be dealt with prior to competition. After competing it may not be possible to make changes to scores/awards.
TEACHER CODE OF CONDUCT
Encourage your dancer/s to compete with a positive attitude and always do their best
Do not criticize, bully or actively try to poach performer/s from other studios
Accept that the judge’s decision is final
Show respect for all staff and volunteers
Be respectful to other dancers whilst they are performing
Encourage your performer/s to cheer others on as they would like to be cheered on and supported
PERFORMER CODE OF CONDUCT
Be polite and courteous to all other dancers
Always show a good sportsman like attitude
Applaud and encourage other dancers as you would like to be applauded
Be respectful side stage, following staff direction on noise levels and where you are standing.
Remember to accept the judge’s decision. It’s just one person’s opinion
Be kind and respectful to staff, volunteers and other dancers
Always remember to try your best and have fun. It’s not all about the awards/placings
STAFF CODE OF CONDUCT
Staff in their interactions with competitors and their families will remain professional at all times.
Staff will remain encouraging of all competitors at all times
All Staff 16 and over have Blue Cards/Positive notices in order to work around children.
Staff are at all regional events to make the director aware of any conflict of interests in regards to their interactions or knowledge of any competitor.
Staff are not to interact or influence the adjudicators in a way that may be or may be construed as interference with an adjudicators decision.
Staff at all times are to adhere to the policy's outlined in the above rules and guidelines. Any deviation from these policies must be made by the director.
ADJUDICATOR/JUDGES CODE OF CONDUCT
To act honestly and with integrity at all times, not misrepresenting qualifications or experience.
To prior to competition starting look over the program and declare any conflict of interest.
The “Bright Light” Good Sportsmanship Award - awarded to one studio overall and one performer in each combined age category. (6u, 10u, 14u, 16u/open age)
Top 3 dancer – awarded per each age category (4u, 6u, 8u, 10u, 12u, 14u, 16u, Open Age) winner to receive a trophy, runner up and 3rd will receive certificates.
Age Champion – awarded for each combined age category (6u, 10u, 14u, 16u/open age) will receive a crown, sash and trophy
Age Champion runner up – awarded for each combined age category (6u, 10u, 14u, 16u/open age) will receive tiara, sash and trophy
DEFININITON OF DANCES FOR SOLOS, DUO/TRIO AND TROUPES
Ballet - Must include classical steps and ballet technique. Demi Character can be included in this section.
Lyrical - Slow controlled ballet style movements. Routine should demonstrate balance, control, flexibility and an understanding and connection of the music
Contemporary - An interpretive dance style that uses balance and control in a contemporary style
Jazz - Use of Jazz technique performed to up tempo music
Hip Hop - Utilising hip hop or rap movements
Acro – A routine that contains acrobatic/gymnastic/tumbling passes
Tap - Any style or tempo of tap
Song and Dance - Singing & dance elements should be evenly balanced. No voice backing is allowed during the singing portion but is allowed in the dance component
Broadway/Musical Theatre – Based on jazz technique stylised with the use of exaggeration and athleticism making it so the movement is story and character driven
Open – Any routine can be performed in the category excluding routines already performed
Student Choreography - A routine in any style choreographed solely by the student with no outside teacher or parent/guardian assistance
All Abilities - A routine in any genre performed by a someone who identifies as having a disability or chronic medical condition which affects either their ability to train in the artform of dance or perform said artform on stage.
TIME LIMITS FOR SOLOS & DUO/TRIOS
Ballet - 2.5 minutes
Lyrical - 2.5 minutes
Contemporary - 2.5 minutes
Jazz - 2.5 minutes
Hip Hop - 2.5 minutes
Acro - 2.5 minutes
Tap - 2.5 minutes
Broadway - 2.5 minutes
Open - 2.5 minutes
Student Choreography - 2.5 minutes
All Abilities - 2.5 minutes
Song and Dance - 3 minutes
TROUPES - ALL WITH A TIME LIMIT OF 3.5 MINUTES
Song and Dance
PLEASE NOTE REFUNDS WILL ONLY BE GIVEN IN THE CASE OF A POSTIVE COVID PCR RESULT OR WITH DOCTOR’S LETTER STATING THE CHILD IS UNABLE TO DANCE. In the event that a refund is to be provided a $10 administration cost will be applied.
All entries are only considered to be final once payment has been completed. Uncompleted or unpaid entries will not be entered into the program.
Entries will close once full and may close earlier to advertised dates due to those age groups being full. In the event that entries close a waitlist system will be provided. Please email email@example.com to be placed on the waitlist clearly stating the location/heat and age group wanting to be waitlisted for.